PROPHET64 & MSSIAH Userforum

Official information and support forum for
MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-01 00:33:50

flipside
Bloody beginner

Problems loading a converted D64 (midislave) via tape.

Hi all, I'm new here..

I hope it's ok to post this here, and if not then let me know. It's not a Prophet64 question, but while searching to see if there already was an answer to my question I noticed that both midislave and the interface have been discussed around here.

I've got this midi interface:
http://www.prophet64-forum.com/viewtopic.php?id=726

I'm trying to load the midislave manager. Downloaded from http://www.df.lth.se/~triad/triad/ftp/MIDI/
What I do is this:

1. Use 64Copy to convert from a .D64 to a .T64 so that I can..
2. ..use WAV-PRG to convert to a .TAP, so that I can use..
3. ..Audiotap to convert to a .WAV. (wav-prg is unable to convert directly to wav for some reason)
4. I then record the resulting .WAV to tape, bring it over to my C64, type LOAD. It states quickly that it finds Midislave V1.1., I then type RUN.
5. After the program has loaded, I seem to have varying results (it's a bit hard to see):
5.a. Sometimes I get to see the menu for a fraction of a second, then it seems to continue trying to load something. Screen goes all blue, tape runs indefinitely.
5.b. I see some errormessages scrolling, but it's hopeless to read the text. Then same as 5.a., screen goes blue, tape runs on.
6. I use the old "bread-box" C64. Don't know if that matter. I have the other types as well so I could try those.

I just use the standard settings in all converters. I figure this might be an overly complicated way of doing this, but it's the only way I know so far. I guess I should get a cable and just interface directly with the C64 smile

Any clue as to what I am doing wrong?

Oh, and happy new year! big_smile

Best,
Alex

Last edited by flipside (2008-01-01 00:50:53)

#2 2008-01-02 18:52:39

James B
Gianas Sister
Website

Re: Problems loading a converted D64 (midislave) via tape.

If Midislave Manager only runs from one .PRG file from within the D64 file, just open the D64 file in a commodore emulator and pull out the PRG file. Then run that through WAVPRG. That's how I do mine and 99% of single-PRG applications and games work that way (fast too!)

#3 2008-01-04 15:28:44

flipside
Bloody beginner

Same thing happens.. Thanks for the advice though!

It's funny, because I've used the same converting procedure on other programs, and they worked. Could it be that the tape I'm using is old, and not of super quality anymore?

Best,
Alex

#4 2008-01-04 21:31:18

Jaicen
Centipede

Could be that the tape heads are out of alignment.
Personally, I used to use 64hdd to transfer softare over to the C64 from my PC. Much easier and quicker that way. If the programs don't auto start, you can even use the datasette to save the program once it's loaded.

Board footer