PROPHET64 & MSSIAH Userforum

Official information and support forum for
MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-28 22:53:41

Jaicen
Centipede

DIN Sync boxes

This is just a speculative post really to see if there's any interest.
I'm planning on getting a PIC burner to make myself a couple of MIDI to DIN converters for the various devices I use (ie, DR-110 & C64 and hopefully a 606 soon... ).
It occured to me that a number of people over here might be interested in acquiring one for their various projects.
I propose to build them just above cost price, just to cover my time and hopefully if there's enough interest that'll cover the cost of the programmer etc.
I don't know if Firestarter has the time to sell the PIC's or whatever now, but i could do that for him if he ok's it.
I had personally planned to build a true Sync24 interface with Stop & Start which the old firestarter interface was lacking, but I can do either with the programmer I plan to get.

If anyone is interested then get in touch, like I say it's just speculation at the moment.

#2 2006-10-29 19:34:47

firestARTer
Administrator
Website

Re: DIN Sync boxes

Jaicen wrote:

I had personally planned to build a true Sync24 interface with Stop & Start which the old firestarter interface was lacking, but I can do either with the programmer I plan to get.

Ho, i don't think my Midi-Interface is lacking start/stop. It supports Midi-Start/Stop and sync and the Sync24 start/stop-line is working the same.

I got already all pre-work done to start producing, i am just still waiting for the Java-App which is in the making for the middle-edition.

Please stay tuned....

firestARTer :-)

firestARTer - Gameboy - C64 - Atari Music
Hardware developing for your favourite homecomputer musicsoftwares
http://www.sidsyn.com
http://www.myspace.com/firestartermusic

#3 2006-10-29 20:10:04

wlms
Dan Dare

firestARTer wrote:

I got already all pre-work done to start producing, i am just still waiting for the Java-App which is in the making for the middle-edition.

Please stay tuned....

Sounds good - Can't wait to see the final product!

#4 2006-10-30 11:54:11

Jaicen
Centipede

Me either, It's just that I need to sync my P64 RIGHT NOW!!
I don't want any fancy midi control, I just want sync so there's no advantage in using your middle or high end editions as far as I can see. I'm building an MBSID for that sort of stuff.
I just figured that if I was going to the trouble of buying a pic board and stuff I could help out the people over here.

#5 2006-10-31 08:40:57

linde
Mad Max
Website

Jaicen, is there a way to estimate the cost fot your interface? It's a good idea but aren't there already a lot of cheap/simple solutions? Like http://www.colinfraser.com/m2d/m2d.htm. Maybe you could build and sell that one.

Firestarter, will you produce the sync-only MIDI interface alog with the new ones? I'd like to have only the basic sync stuff (like Jaicen) but I'm not too keen on building anything - just looking at the schematics on your page makes me scared.

#6 2006-10-31 11:36:01

Jaicen
Centipede

Well I did write to Colin Fraser and he was ok with me building a handful of devices to pass on to fellow Propheteers. As I said before, i'd build them for cost + a small percentage for my time. Within the UK it would probably be about £10 with a proper PCB. I don't plan on using c64 edge connectors, because I don't have a source for them at the moment. I was just going to build it inside my C64 wired directly. Those I sell will have DIN connectors for in and out, unless edge connectors can be found, and then i'll use them where preferred.
I'm sure there are many cheap and simple DIY devices, but most people aren't willing to lay out the cash for a PIC burner.
To be honest, I quite like the look of Firestarters MIDI interface, which is the one i'd choose to build inside my C64. However, for general DIN-Sync'ing i'll build a couple of Colin's designs, as it implements Run/Stop and Continue as well as the 24ppqn clock signal.

If it's OK with Firestarter, i'd like to offer both as either pre-programmed PIC's or fully assembled interfaces.

#7 2006-10-31 20:19:17

linde
Mad Max
Website

That's a nice price!

I'd buy one for 20€

I'd have to sell something off so I can justify the buy, of course smile

#8 2006-10-31 21:14:45

firestARTer
Administrator
Website

Hey guys,

in general i would recommend my solution, as it works perfect with P64 and all midi-data.
http://www.firestarter-music.de/prophet/
It works fine with all editions.

I will also produce these interfaces and got the PCB's ready.
I will also provide assembled PCB's if you want to include it into your C64.
Please stay tuned a little bit more, i will make the simple edition ready as soon as possible!!!

Sorry, i don't want to ruin your business, but i got alot of things already ready here, just need to finalize them.

firestARTer - Gameboy - C64 - Atari Music
Hardware developing for your favourite homecomputer musicsoftwares
http://www.sidsyn.com
http://www.myspace.com/firestartermusic

#9 2006-10-31 21:50:38

Jaicen
Centipede

By all means, produce your own work Firestarter!!
I don't want to step on any toes, but I absolutely must have DIN sync right now.
I'm sure you're all geared up for production etc, but I don't need anything except what you've already given us. Why should I wait for features I don't need?? All i'm offering is a solution to others in my position. I don't intend to make it a business, as i've already stated. I just want to cover my costs and some of my time.

#10 2006-10-31 23:48:38

philip
Gianas Sister
Website

I'd buy one ore two; actually, I'd only need the PCB and the PIC and can do the soldering myself, if that'd be okay.

#11 2006-11-01 00:46:12

Jaicen
Centipede

That would be fine, even better in fact!
Do you want the Colin Fraser version or Firestarter's?? I'm not sure wether we have permission for the latter.

Board footer