PROPHET64 & MSSIAH Userforum

Official information and support forum for
MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-18 12:23:57

Flemming
The Last Ninja

C64 artists doing covertracks??

I recently learned that Rob Hubbard's "Zoids" and "Master of magic" are not completely his own compositions - They were made by Synergy and is featured on an album from 1981 called "Audion". Also i think i remember something about "International karate" being an Art of noise-track? I find it inspiring to hear where these old C64-icons got their inspiration from, and i was wondering if anyone here knows of any other tracks that sparked the creativity of Hubbard, Galway, Tell, Daglish and the likes ???

#2 2008-12-18 13:34:16

Tonka
PROPHET64 GURU
Website

Re: C64 artists doing covertracks??

Flemming wrote:

I recently learned that Rob Hubbard's "Zoids" and "Master of magic" are not completely his own compositions - They were made by Synergy and is featured on an album from 1981 called "Audion". Also i think i remember something about "International karate" being an Art of noise-track? I find it inspiring to hear where these old C64-icons got their inspiration from, and i was wondering if anyone here knows of any other tracks that sparked the creativity of Hubbard, Galway, Tell, Daglish and the likes ???

Heya Fleming!

International Karate was from the film 'Merry Xmas Mr. Lawrence.  It's by a Japanese guy called 'Ryuichi Sakamoto'.  The in game Delta music was based upon a the 'Koyannisquatsi' soundtrack by Phillip Glass (and a Pink Floyd track, apparently).  'Pandora' was based on the 'Dune' soundtrack.  I-Ball was based on a Cabaret Voltaire track.

Galway and Hubbard have cited Depeche Mode and Jarre (among others) as an influence in interviews.  It's quite alarming just how many C64 tunes were actually covers when you look into it! big_smile

Jaicen said he'd modify my 1351 mice and now he won't return them or even answer my emails.  True story...  sad

#3 2008-12-25 23:29:25

Flemming
The Last Ninja

I found the 'Merry xmas'-track smile so sweet... thx for pointing these out Tonka!

It's pretty funny actually that Hubbard nicked so many themes.. if anyone else did that, they'd have to pay for it smile or atleast credit the original artist! I know he's a hero amongst us C64-fans, but i tend to see him more and more as the Timbaland of SID wink nicking lesser known soundtracks off of japanese movies is just as hard to discover as the tricks Timbo and Jackson tends to use!!

#4 2008-12-27 23:11:49

Tonka
PROPHET64 GURU
Website

Hehe!  Yes - most of the C64 composers 'borrowed' a tune or 10! smile

I think it was down to the fact that they had to knock out so many tunes/sfx in such a short space of time that they couldn't possibly write all of their own material.  The whole copyright 'issue' wasn't as huge then as it is now either.  Also, I don't think anyone saw it as a particular threat.  People just saw it as 'blips and blops' (though I know that the music from the game 'Chiller' had to be changed as they'd used a cover of MJ's 'Thriller'!

Ooooowwww!  big_smile

Jaicen said he'd modify my 1351 mice and now he won't return them or even answer my emails.  True story...  sad

#5 2009-01-22 12:50:19

Flemming
The Last Ninja

Investigating the famous 'acidjazz'-remix controversy involving Janne and Timbalame i came to stumble on two more incidents ...

Zombie nation - Kernkraft 400 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5LW07FTJbI)
They stole the theme from Lazy Jones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78FQDgcWzLI)

Bastian - You've got my love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cWL89fjfUU)
He stole the beat from Rubicon (i haven't been able to find the original yet)

In both cases the original C64 artists won the case in court!

#6 2009-01-22 13:46:11

ron
PROPHET64 GURU
Website

Oh, I just love the Lazy Jones tunes! Prove two voices are enough, David Whittaker is pure genius big_smile
I always have the internal Lazy Jones reference as soon as I hear some steady eight note sawtooth bassline. First time I heard the Zombie Nation Kernkraft 400 track I had the feeling there was something wrong about it, but couldn't put my finger on it. Should have been playing LJ more often I guess wink

#7 2017-07-28 20:01:58

MadModder
Bomb Jack

That rubicon song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hBverjpeLs  at 5:50

Board footer