PROPHET64 & MSSIAH Userforum

Official information and support forum for
MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-17 21:52:25

jusjus
Bloody beginner

Have I blown my SID or is this somthing fixable?

Hi all,

Everyting was working fine but now all im getting is a loud sound, all the time, as soon as I hit the power switch. I'm runnning audio out from Video port through an s-video/audio cable. Sound on the RF output has never worked and makes a similar sound.

I'm hoping that it's an easy fix, just a cap or somthing to replace but I wouldn't know where to begin looking. Is this the case, or has my poor SID finally given up? I'm using the newer c64.  Any help would be appreciated!

#2 2012-06-18 10:38:50

Ready.
Bomb Jack

Re: Have I blown my SID or is this somthing fixable?

I use a ground loop isolator between SID out and amplifier in to protect the SID.
Have you tried to connect the C64 to a monitor with speakers? Also check if the 9VAC of the power supply still works (or just check the 9VDC supply onj the SID). I f that voltage is there, you could replace the 2N2222A transistor at the SID output. Eventually can you test the SID on another C64C?

#3 2012-06-18 13:00:11

jusjus
Bloody beginner

Hi, thanks for your reply!

PSU seems fine.

C64 was connected to a stereo amplifier via a guitar multi effects unit and my PC (Ableton Live). This was all working fine, but now, no matter what I connect the C64 audio out too, I get noise. I was aware that switching on/off any devices/mixers etc could blow the sid chip so I was carefull not to do so while it was on.  The problem began while editing a patch on the effects unit so i'm thinking maybe this casued a pop/click/voltage spike and popped my poor SID??? Do blown SID's tend to make a horrible noise like mine, or do they show various different symptoms?

Just ordered a replacment C64 off eBay. I'll test out the SID when it arrives, and if it's ok, i'll try replacing the transiator you mentioned.

Will definatly be ordering a ground loop isolator smile

If there's anything else you could think of for me to check, let me know!

#4 2012-07-03 11:49:20

Ready.
Bomb Jack

The ground loop isolator is a good choice.
If you tested the SID on several equipment including a TV/monitor, I think that your SID is dead, sorry. Unless you just blew the 2n2222A transistor at the SID output. Let's see when the new C64 arrives.

#5 2012-07-13 23:14:39

jusjus
Bloody beginner

Thanks for your help mate. Tried the SID on my new c64 and it's definatly popped sad

At least I have a load of spare parts now!#

Thanks again.

Board footer