PROPHET64 & MSSIAH Userforum

Official information and support forum for
MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-26 11:47:30

CassandraX
Gianas Sister

How to sync c64 sequencer to c64 sequencer?

How I can slave one C64 sequencer directly to a further one, that is WITHOUT using further midi devices?

Comment: Well, I tried so much and searched so long for my problem, though maybe it's easy to solve. Because, sadly, I discovered that all MSSIAH programs (bassline, monosynthesizer, etc.) can be synchronized via sync24-out of another C64 running MSSIAH-sequencer, but the sequencer itself seemingly reacts only on midi clock as a different type of signal, not on sync24-in. Doesn't it? What I missed to see?

#2 2011-12-29 13:13:00

CassandraX
Gianas Sister

Re: How to sync c64 sequencer to c64 sequencer?

No replies, til yet. So, it seems there is no direct way. sad But there's a more or less cheap solution! Thus, I will finally reply to myself for sharing my knowledge:

Hi CassandraX! tongue

Already two months ago I began to look for din to midi convertors. After a while I found one which is described as "the smallest, lowest part-count MIDI to Din / Din to MIDI Sync convertor": http://www.colinfraser.com/m2d/m2d.htm. In case of my special problem (MSSIAHists need only DIN to MIDI convertion) and with my questionable perfectionism I could once more reduce the circuit to the smallest and cheapest possible "direct link" of two C64s which doesn't need a external power supply, I think:

http://s1.directupload.net/images/111229/w8rrt6cp.jpg

And it works fine! big_smile

The parts of the convertor, you see all on the image, make less than 2 EUR. (You need a additional programming connector between IC and PC, if you haven't one, already. There are cheap do-it-yourself solutions in the web.)

Feel free to ask for the schematics, parts list and additional advices, here in this thread! I agree in principle with the possibility to assemble it for you...

#3 2011-12-29 13:36:15

CassandraX
Gianas Sister

Two remarks:

(i) Only in maybe 5% of the cases the MSSIAH sequencer on the "slave C64" miss to start or to stop through pressing space on the "master C64". I couldn't found the malefactor (C64 1/2, MSSIAH 1/2, convertor), yet. But the slave keeps in time EVER, i.e. doesn't miss the MIDI clock signal from the convertor! Thus, it seems to be a problem of MSSIAH, not of the convertor. In live cases I compensate it through starting the arrangment one measure before the real song starts effectively. Thereby, I have time enough to recognize a start only of C64 1 and to press space two times again, i.e. stop and start the song again.
(ii) Remember also the fact (mentioned in another thread here, I don't find, currently) that the sequencer can get slightly out of timing generally, i.e. independently of my convertor itself every time external clock is chosen, if you don't be aware of a limitation while the sequencer under chosen external clock is playing: MSSIAH sequencer keeps only two windows in memory, for example, the arrange window and the instrument editor. There's no problem to change between them while the both C64s PLAY synchronized. But, every time you open a further window, like the grid editor, MSSIAH must load the window properties from the cartdridge (by overwriting the instrument editor, for example). In this short moment MSSIAH doesn't check the in coming MIDI clock signal and gets therefore slightly out of time for the rest of the song. ERGO: While a synchronized song is playing, use only EITHER instrument editor OR grid editor to keep in time, by selecting (loading) it before!

#4 2011-12-29 20:31:42

InactiveX
The Last Ninja

Excellent research CX! Thanks.

Board footer