Official information and support forum for
MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-16 15:34:22

lynxxx
Nebulus
Website

Best way to implement MIDI Thru?

So, I've seen a few posts on MIDI Thru on this forum and a nicely modded C64 that had it. So the question is, how do I do this with the MSSIAH cartridge in place? I suppose I need a small midi through box outside of the C64 or mess with the cartridge (which I'd rather not do). Anybody have a cheap ready-to-go solution I can use for this purpose? I saw the schematics by Firestarter but to be honest I couldnt make much of that.

"I went to see the person writing our operating system. He had about 4-5 Sun computers and a big cage with a rabbit in it. And he'd spent a lot of time talking to the rabbit."
- Adam Chowaniec / co-creator of the Amiga computer

#2 2009-03-16 20:32:06

TheLustyGhost

Re: Best way to implement MIDI Thru?

I got a Yamaha MJC8 midi patch bay cheap, and have been using that to split my MIDI signals between my various pieces of hardware that don't have any MIDI through capabilities.  Works well.

#3 2009-03-29 12:18:06

D Vibe
The Last Ninja
Website

Sweet.. Would like to put one MJC8 under my TX81Z in its rack..

Need to split my midi cables aswell, have too many devices without thru..

Last edited by D Vibe (2009-03-29 12:28:22)

#4 2009-03-29 23:21:17

firestARTer
Administrator
Website

It would be easiest to get a ready made THRU BOX like the one from D-Tronics, un-case it and put in the C64.
In my schematics you need a 74HC14 but also a external power supply ( you could also get it from the cartridge or C64 , if you are little electronic skilled to find out from where to grab it). You can also search for midi thru diy on your favourite search machine and you will for sure find alot schematics for it!

firestARTer - Gameboy - C64 - Atari Music
Hardware developing for your favourite homecomputer musicsoftwares
http://www.sidsyn.com
http://www.myspace.com/firestartermusic

Board footer