Official information and support forum for
MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-31 21:18:50

AxiMaxi
PROPHET64 GURU
Website

Midi interface problems - post them here

No problems whatsoever over here... but that might be different of there, with you.
What's wrong?

Describe in detail, we can help!

If everything is under control, you're not going fast enough.

#2 2007-11-01 04:58:00

Slorrin
PROPHET64 GURU

Re: Midi interface problems - post them here

I will explain 2 problems I had, and the solutions.  others may have these same problems.

1)  Insert midi interface - NO VIDEO!

The solution was obvious when i went to the number 1 cause of the "no video problem".  Usually its a burnt out SID chip.  taking out the sid2sid, i had video.  Putting in 1 sid chip, I had video.  Putting in the sid2sid with 1 sid chip, i had video.  putting in the sid2sid with 2 sid chips, no video.  Checked the wiring.  No shorts.  Both sids worked by themself.  What's the difference?  CURRENT draw of 2 sids.  Take out midi interface, works. 

Answer, 2 sids and 1 midi interface = more curent than my PSU could handle. 

Solution - use a different PSU that i have not used much before.  (i tested all my PSUs with a load when bought them to make sure they output the right values... so i know which of them are good and which are bad (the bad ones are gone now).

2) It won't sync in X program.

I read the quickstart, i understood how to set it to seq/sync mode.  I set it to s24 mode in sequencer, why didnt' it sync?  This i didnt' know, maybe you already did.  IN both my DAW software, midi sync information is NOT transmitted.  I dont' know why.  You have to go into the midi setup, select "transmit midi sync/clock" and select the output port for those. 

maybe you kew that, i sure didnt', i assumed it would send midi data like that. 

3) In seq, when i use s24 keyboard mode to play notes in my midi host, it misses many notes.

Solution, make sure the instrument you are using has optimal triggering setup.  At th ebottom of page 1, see all that "hard, soft" stuff?  Play with those until it works better.  play with the DEC/SUS values (The grayed ot values at the VERY bottom, not the ADSR value) and those will help too. 

that's what i learned in today's "playing around"

I never used drummer or anything before AT ALL, so i am going to learn drummer and use p64 as a drum machine i think..

later

#3 2007-11-10 17:35:54

jbuonacc
Centipede

'Mode 2' is MIDI Keyboard mode for MonoSynth. you can either have P64 sync to your DAW or have your DAW send notes/CCs to P64 - not both at once. sad this is due to the software, see my previous post on this in another thread.

#4 2007-11-10 22:23:35

jbuonacc
Centipede

looks like you had a MIDI feedback loop going on? glad it worked out!

#5 2007-11-12 00:18:12

FriendlyFire
Pac-Man
Website

hello,
there is a problem, a little one:
if youre running a sequenzer sending midi-notes to monosynth:
without pernament glide (mod-wheel) everything is fine.
with pernament glide there is no sound anymore IF you go for a second into setup (ctrl) and back again.
monosynth will show you theres a note triggering but theres no sound.
-> you have turn off pernamet glide and the sound will appear again.
now i know this solution, first i wondered that theres no sound anymore after i actived my 2nd Sid in the setup, hehehe

my setup was:
ableton live was sending midi-notes in a loop
via a midi keyboard i changed the mod-wheel, pitch, controller values (potis) etc.

i think its bug inside prophet64!

edit:
i didnt tried it this bassline...
anyway, this midi interface is awesome and works really great now problems so far!

Last edited by FriendlyFire (2007-11-12 00:20:00)

#6 2007-11-12 09:27:23

firestARTer
Administrator
Website

The problem is, that the Note won't be retriggered in glide mode. And so, when going to the setup, the SID will be turned off i guess and when coming back, no retriggering will take place.
Remember, no full multitasking when going into menus ;-)

firestARTer - Gameboy - C64 - Atari Music
Hardware developing for your favourite homecomputer musicsoftwares
http://www.sidsyn.com
http://www.myspace.com/firestartermusic

#7 2007-11-12 11:37:09

firestARTer
Administrator
Website

This sounds like a windows problem. A pitch bend wouldn't solve your problem.

To avoid the Midi-In feedback problem in Fruity loops, just disable Midi-In in Fruity loops.
Why would you need it anyway. All Input is bypassed to the Output of the Midi-Interface. This is only if you want to connect in daisy chain mode = another Midi-slave hardware in your system.

#8 2007-11-12 19:19:12

FriendlyFire
Pac-Man
Website

firestARTer wrote:

The problem is, that the Note won't be retriggered in glide mode. And so, when going to the setup, the SID will be turned off i guess and when coming back, no retriggering will take place.
Remember, no full multitasking when going into menus ;-)

yes i thought so too, but i used a lopped sequence with a lots of different notes....
anyway, i just know and everybody else too to solve this problem if it will happen.
i love this interface smile

#9 2007-11-13 21:02:44

Hesed
Wonderboy
Website

i have it since 1 week and i test it in all modes without any problem (and really low latency!!!) now is perfect integrated with my liveset.
BigUp for firestARTer ... we wait long but in the end we have a perfect tool!

#10 2007-11-18 00:36:48

Tristan
Pac-Man
Website

So far (after 1 evening of hell) I have only managed to get sync working in sequencer edition. If I sync to FL7 or Live6 I get the same problem - drift. Every time I change a setting within FL7 or Live the drift gets larger. I think this is probably the same issue as Tonka's.

I'm using an ancient laptop (1.13GHz, 376MB ram), Edirol UM-1EX midi interface running out of an antiquated USB1.1 port.

Is it possible to sync the sequencer while playing in notes? If so, how? ::edit:: By this I mean to play in notes via MIDI! ::/edit::

I can't wait for the manual! I am very willing to spell/grammar check it before it gets published by the way, FirestARTer. wink

Last edited by Tristan (2007-11-18 00:41:44)

YOU are reading my unique forum signature.

#11 2007-11-18 01:12:43

jbuonacc
Centipede

Tristan wrote:

Is it possible to sync the sequencer while playing in notes? If so, how? ::edit:: By this I mean to play in notes via MIDI! ::/edit::

no, this is NOT possible (sad to say, it was my main reason for 'needing' the interface). P64 can't accept note and sync info at the same time, somehow notes are converted via Sync24(?) which disables the abilty to sync to MIDI. so, basically the interface is either a MIDI>Sync24 converter (Dtronics or cable/converter is an option) or a MIDI-note keyboard interface (many other ways to use the C64 as just a synth module) - but not both at once. sad i guess the MIDI-pots are a nice feature, but i don't have much use for them at the moment (don't really use Bassline or Monosynth).

oh, well...

also, i don't trust much of any PC/laptop as a master clock signal. i've gotten nothing but drift from Live4-6, i use my Nord G2 as master clock when recording in Live. probably better off sync'ing both the laptop and C64 to an external clock source (drum machine, etc). others may say differently...

Last edited by jbuonacc (2007-11-18 01:15:31)

#12 2007-11-18 04:36:36

Tristan
Pac-Man
Website

You're probably right about the laptop clock, jbuonacc. Sadly though I don't happen to own an external clock at the moment...

Apart from the C64 itself, but I'm guessing that the C64 can't output sync while having kb input either...

#13 2007-11-18 15:03:59

James B
Gianas Sister
Website

Use an Atari ST for the clock!

#14 2007-11-18 22:45:25

commodork64
Nebulus

James are you using an ST? Cubase by any chance?

I use an Atari but haven't had time to test it with the interface... can you controll all the pots ok from it?

#15 2007-11-18 23:18:27

firestARTer
Administrator
Website

So i really got to say, the drift is really a problem of your software.
I can sync the sequencer with all my softwares, drum machines etc without any drift at all, for hours!

There can be drifts if: You use a too fast bpm with too many channels on the sequencer
You switch between sequencers windows.
These are P64 problems (or lets better say Commodore64 problems...never forget, you are wokring with 1 Mhz and 64 kb of memory!! ) which you got to live with. :-/

And on the other hand, the manual doesn't say anything more than the quick guide. All features are explained there.

#16 2007-11-18 23:19:39

jbuonacc
Centipede

no reason why the pots wouldn't work through Cubase on the ST, they accept standard MIDI CC info.

then again, i wouldn't suggest going out and buying an ST plus software just for sending a MIDI clock to the C64. hell, i wouldn't even suggest it for sequencing these days (and i started out using an ST, then a Falcon030). maybe a STacy laptop for portability, but anything else is a bit of a hassle. (EDIT: this is for US users i guess - STs and the like are much more common in the UK, etc.) plenty of options for external MIDI clock. the only reason i wouldn't suggest an older Roland TR-505/626/707/etc is that they 'skip' through certain BPM settings.

#17 2007-11-19 01:53:04

Hesed
Wonderboy
Website

i test it with akai mpc 2000 sequencer, atari st, mega and falcon, mac with ableton and no problem.

#18 2007-11-19 02:40:24

James B
Gianas Sister
Website

I don't yet have an interface, and haven't run an Atari ST in years. I said it as some years ago I had MIDI timing issues with a rubbish soundcard and Cubase VST. It sort of fixed it by running an Atari as a sync master - the timing was much better as the MIDI from an ST is timed directly from the processor. So maybe it'll help other sync problems.

#19 2007-11-19 15:07:25

Hesed
Wonderboy
Website

shure will help... there is no clock comparable to an atari not even with a modern pc or mac, also cause none has a midi plug directly on the motherboard.

#20 2007-11-19 15:29:40

KONEY
PROPHET64 GURU
Website

yes hesed but you have less PPQ.

#21 2007-11-19 17:45:37

Hesed
Wonderboy
Website

i know but the prophet64 doesn't have anyway a so fine range of cc and trig. Anyway with the sequencer software i use  Intuitive Midi System i ca trigger up to 1/512 http://tamw.atari-users.net/ims.htm is freeware and i prefeat it then the cubase. we are lmost offtopic tongue

#22 2007-11-19 20:10:00

Tristan
Pac-Man
Website

Well hopefully some kind soul will publish a walk-through, troubleshooting guide, list of compatible software, list of software known to have problems, a guide for how to save via MIDI, etc!

If anyone has made a P64-friendly project template in FLS or Live, I would love to take a look at them....

#23 2007-11-19 20:18:45

firestARTer
Administrator
Website

I think this guide would be too big. It would also be a list of 'Midi-Compatible Software in combination with special PC and Soundcards/Midi-Interfaces'.
This is really not Prophet64 specific.
Save to Midi can be simply done with Midi-Ox or Bomes SendSX (on PC).

#24 2007-11-19 23:26:19

Tristan
Pac-Man
Website

Well I will write up all I know once I know it, if you see what I mean. wink

I just installed SendSX from http://www.bome.com/midi/sendsx/beta/ and it looks pretty straightforward. I will try to save a P64 sequence with it and report back. To be honest, MIDI saving makes the interface worth every penny, regardless of anything else!

#25 2007-11-20 09:29:35

firestARTer
Administrator
Website

Yep that software works also very fine for me.
Depending on your Midi-Hardware, choose a 'slower' Midi Data-Rate. With me it works perfectly with 1/1 ratio.

Board footer