Official information and support forum for
MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-25 01:09:08

wax+wire
GI-Joe

tuning / australia

hello.
i just discovered this p64 project.  i have been using Cynth cart in my music, though not live as it is not tuned to A440 when plugged into australian power.  it is about 53 cents flat. i have to record it, then pitch shift it.

does anyone know if P64 would be in tune? or if it is highly tuneable (i.e. not just in increments of 10 cents)?

because it is a cartridge, can you load P64 on one machine, then pull the cartridge out and run it on a different machine as well? and thus have say a drum machine on one machine and a synth on the other from one cart?

that will do for now.  it looks like a really really great project.  more flexible than Cynth cart, and i am supper excited about the possibility of triggering drums live.  i wouldn't be using any midi controler, just the C64 keyboard.

joel

#2 2007-04-25 09:32:58

tuluseabaska
Dan Dare

Re: tuning / australia

does anyone know if P64 would be in tune? or if it is highly tuneable (i.e. not just in increments of 10 cents)?

the monosynth seems to stay in tune perfectly (i'am using a PAL system), you can also fine tune the second oscillator. so I suppose other p64 applications will stay in tune also. not really sure if it's true for NTSC.

as for the cynthcart i find no problem using them simultaneously. I just tune it up to +50 cent and I'am fine, there's a slight detune but I don't care really.

it is about 53 cents flat. i have to record it, then pitch shift it.

well you could always use some real time processing effects for this

because it is a cartridge, can you load P64 on one machine, then pull the cartridge out and run it on a different machine as well? and thus have say a drum machine on one machine and a synth on the other from one cart?

afaik you can't, P64 it's far more complex to cynthcart which is just a small program loading itself completely to the RAM. anyway you shouldn't be bothered with that cause the manual clearly says.

YOU MUST NEVER REMOVE OR INSERT THE CARTRIDGE WITH THE POWER STILL ON!

that will do for now.  it looks like a really really great project.  more flexible than Cynth cart, and i am supper excited about the possibility of triggering drums live.  i wouldn't be using any midi controler, just the C64 keyboard.

don't think of p64 as a replacement to cynthcart, this is totally different piece of software and requires a different approach. whereas cynthcart is a great polyphonic synthesizer design for playing live, p64 main purpose is the sequencing. ofcause you can sort of play it from the c64 keyboard (drummer/sequencer only), but you will soon find that it's not a good idea at all.

regards. tuluseabaska

Last edited by tuluseabaska (2007-04-25 09:35:15)

#3 2007-04-25 10:24:54

wax+wire
GI-Joe

cheers for the quick response

in australia we run on a PAL system as well. so thats good.

but why not use the drummer live, why not a good idea? (sorry if this is discussed elsewhere)

live is my main interest....
joel

#4 2007-04-25 10:45:14

tuluseabaska
Dan Dare

well it can be a matter of preferences. if you're fine playing drums by hand then it would actually be okay to use that live. but you won't be able to edit the sound while playing it from keyboard, this is true for drummer, monosynth and bassline. hence you just won't be able to put bassline/monosynth to a good use, midi or sync are crucial here.

and for the sequencer it is okay to play it from keyboard, but the overall sound controls are just designed for something totally different than live performance. but if you're think you're fine with it .. it woudn't be that inconvenient afterall (but then you'll probably want to take a 1351 to a gig though).

the monosynth is truly awesome for live performances, but you'll need a midi interface and with the firestARTer's midi interface you'll even be able to play monosynth from the midi keyboard and control the pots at the same time. I would definitely go for that.

Last edited by tuluseabaska (2007-04-25 10:52:10)

#5 2007-04-25 11:29:25

ron
PROPHET64 GURU
Website

wax+wire wrote:

hello.
i just discovered this p64 project.  i have been using Cynth cart in my music, though not live as it is not tuned to A440 when plugged into australian power.  it is about 53 cents flat. i have to record it, then pitch shift it.

Yeah, Cynthcart has only the NTSC tuning map, Paul is about to implement the PAL map within the next release. I'm tuning the Cynthcart all the way down (-50) and play my melodies one semitone higher on the keyboard. lotsa black keys wink

P64 however has both modes PAL and NTSC and doesn't suffer from that issue.

#6 2007-04-30 11:35:15

wax+wire
GI-Joe

cheers.
when things slow down, i'll have a go at the demo software.
though, i think there is something beautiful about actually playing a computer (i.e. interacting with the traditional interfaces of QWERTY keyboard and joysticks/paddles to make music).
joel

Board footer