PROPHET64 & MSSIAH Userforum

Official information and support forum for
MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-20 20:36:32

Matt

Problem with Dtronics midi interface

Hi everyone,

I've just received the Dtronics MIDI interface from engineersatwork.nl and in general I'm very happy with it - timing seems rock solid. I'm planning to use it to sync my P64 to my Yamaha RM1x sequencer.

HOWEVER, in the Monosynth and Bassline modules, when the P64 is running in sync mode it's impossible to switch between patterns using the 1-8 number keys. If I press a key, the corresponding button on the screen pushes, but the light doesn't come on and the pattern doesn't change.

If I set P64 to internal sync, it works absolutely fine.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on? Have I forgotten to set something? I read that the Dtronics device can send program change messages on Channel 16, can I use this to switch the patterns using my RM1x?

many thanks.
Matt

#2 2007-04-20 20:52:01

jbuonacc
Centipede

Re: Problem with Dtronics midi interface

wha? are these still available? also, are you sure it's not supposed to just accept program changes and not send them?

#3 2007-04-20 20:58:24

Matt

Yeah, they're back in stock for a limited run...

#4 2007-04-20 21:55:56

jbuonacc
Centipede

ordered! thanks man, i would've bought two but there's some things i need to get.

i'm guessing though that once it's set to external clock that it will only receive program changes over midi and that it disables internal pattern switching? not sure, do they say anything about this? any documentation with it?

#5 2007-04-21 11:40:51

firestARTer
Administrator
Website

External Pattern switching works normally also in external sync mode. At least it works fine with my developement.

firestARTer - Gameboy - C64 - Atari Music
Hardware developing for your favourite homecomputer musicsoftwares
http://www.sidsyn.com
http://www.myspace.com/firestartermusic

#6 2007-04-21 13:18:11

Matt

Tried it with a different unit providing the master clock and still the same problem, so it's nothing to do with the messages my RM1x is sending out...

Also tried it with two different C64s and no change.

Any thoughts anyone? Really grateful for any suggestions!

Last edited by Matt (2007-04-21 13:18:38)

#7 2007-04-29 12:35:03

Matt

So, anyone got any ideas on this? I still need to find a to change patterns in Monosynth and Bassline whilst the P64 is sync'd to my RM1x...

Matt

#8 2007-05-05 03:28:26

jbuonacc
Centipede

just got my dtronics device - same deal, i noticed it with Drummer. sad as soon as you enable ext sync it seems that it disables pattern switching via the C64 keyboard. i'll test later to see how well the pattern switching works via midi, if that's the only way. would be nice to still switch patterns from the keyboard.

FirestARTer - did you say this is possible with yours? that when enabling ext sync, you can still switch patterns from the keyboard? the dtronics seems to switch all pattern control over to midi.

#9 2007-05-05 09:52:01

Jaicen
Centipede

It's a long shot, but has the Dtronics interface got the pattern select pins of the expansion port wired? If it's holding them low, that could be stopping pattern select working.

#10 2007-05-05 11:44:52

firestARTer
Administrator
Website

Yes, with my Midi-Interface it works.
Actually, i choosed to use notes for Pattern select.

Well, wasn't it Django who did the Dtronics one? Would be good to get some support from him.

firestARTer - Gameboy - C64 - Atari Music
Hardware developing for your favourite homecomputer musicsoftwares
http://www.sidsyn.com
http://www.myspace.com/firestartermusic

#11 2007-05-05 12:17:59

tuluseabaska
Dan Dare

i just got my dtronics p64 midi interface yesterday. why can't change patterns internally? that's retarded cmon. so I tried it via midi, and works very well. atleast it has passed the test ports section flawlessly. I can trigger all of the patterns in bassline, but in monosynth.. it just cycles through the last 4 patterns in the pattern section B. something weird is going on here  because as soon as I enable exernal sync in monosynth it just switches to the pattern section B and plays the pattern 5. so it's not all fucked up but it would be nice to be able to cycle through all of the patterns.

haven't tried the drummer yet

#12 2007-05-06 08:01:08

jbuonacc
Centipede

some better news - just hacked up a connector housing for use with the dtronics interface. i was pretty concerned about pulling that thing in and out. could do better, but this was just with a set of clippers...

http://photo.ringo.com/209/209935236RL764353621.jpg

#13 2007-05-06 11:24:18

Matt

Tuluseabaska - Interested to hear that you can switch patterns via midi, to be honest this would be good enough for me. How do you go about doing that? What messages do i need to send from my Rm1x?

#14 2007-05-06 20:38:07

tuluseabaska
Dan Dare

Matt: you should refer to the manual for that. if Yamaha rm1x is able to send program change messages then it is for sure covered in the manual for this device. I do not own rm1x so cannot tell you. I was able to cycle through patterns with my edirol pcr-m, and there is a really neat way to send those messages from ableton live which allows me to arrange the sequences, so this is really cool.

however it's a bit of shame that we are leaved here as is without any support from the manufacturer. I don't want to discredit anybody but cmon... and what happened to all the people who bought this interface? is anyone experiencing such issues with the monosynth? I am just a simple newb crying out for help. cmon there must be light :]

please test your interfaces and tell me how it works. thank you kindly.

#15 2007-05-06 23:08:47

Headloc
Bomb Jack
Website

I tested mine the other night hooked up to a korg ER-1. It is the same as what you mentioned. When external sync is enabled, pattern selection seems to be disabled via the keyboard. But I can select the patterns via the Korg sending program change messages on midi channel 16. This was with the Bassline, I havnt tested it on the monosynth yet.

make it come out green...

#16 2007-05-07 02:51:20

Matt

Does the normal S24-64 cable disable manual pattern switching as well, or is this something specific to the Dtronics interface?

#17 2007-05-07 02:52:47

jbuonacc
Centipede

i'm pretty sure it's just how the dtronics is wired. i'll do some testing tonight with both if i'm able to.

tuluseabaska wrote:

however it's a bit of shame that we are leaved here as is without any support from the manufacturer. I don't want to discredit anybody but cmon... and what happened to all the people who bought this interface? is anyone experiencing such issues with the monosynth? ...

has anyone actually tried to contact the developers, or do we expect them to pop in here? haven't used Monosynth or Bassline much, but i'll try them later if i can.

Last edited by jbuonacc (2007-05-07 02:55:49)

#18 2007-05-07 06:06:25

jbuonacc
Centipede

ok, all is good. i don't actually have any din-sync gear anymore, so i had to hook two C64's together. sync in/out working fine with pattern changes from the C64 keyboard. the dtronics interface (and FirestARTer's) has all those other pins wired up, the normal sync cable doesn't need to deal with all that. the FS interface might handle this better though?

Board footer