Official information and support forum for
MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-17 22:20:38

dotmatrix
Monty
Website

save and reload - different sound.

how often do you save a song that day , reload it the next day and it sounds completely different?
do i have hallucinations or is there really something that changes overnight?
maybe the sid sounds different after some working time?

#2 2007-04-18 02:12:49

jbuonacc
Centipede

Re: save and reload - different sound.

man, i thought i noticed this as well. the next day one track i was working on just didn't have 'that funk', something just seemed 'off'. and no, i didn't forget to switch back to NTSC. big_smile wink maybe it's the drugs?

#3 2007-04-18 06:17:35

Slorrin
PROPHET64 GURU

Music, late at night, never sounds as good the next morning.  It's a common perceptual phenomenon. 

There's a great seinfeld episode based around this classic artists' problem.  He writes down a joke in the middle of the night, wakes up and can't read his writing.. when he figures it out, the joke is stupid..

ahaha, gary larson used to say if he only published the comics he wrote late at night, without looking at them the next morning, he'd have been committed to an institution. 

ah well

#4 2007-04-18 09:42:35

KONEY
PROPHET64 GURU
Website

jbuonacc wrote:

man, i thought i noticed this as well. the next day one track i was working on just didn't have 'that funk', something just seemed 'off'. and no, i didn't forget to switch back to NTSC. big_smile wink maybe it's the drugs?

Drugs have this double cut: they make you write music and the. prevent you from reckognizing it 8)

Anyway ears, like eyes, get tired. Also brain get tired, so you can perceive something different at different times.

There's still a chance that some bugs make your work saved differently. I use logic audio, so much more advanced, and sometimes I get some problems with plugin settings. So I have to load a backup of the track, save the settings separately and re-load it into the actual track.

Also SID can sound a bit differcent. My gear need 30 minutes to sound like the night before and I never record a thing without let everythig heat up for 1-2 hours...

#5 2007-04-18 10:02:18

AxiMaxi
PROPHET64 GURU
Website

KONEY wrote:

Also SID can sound a bit differcent. My gear need 30 minutes to sound like the night before and I never record a thing without let everythig heat up for 1-2 hours...

My thought exactly: it's the temperature.

If everything is under control, you're not going fast enough.

#6 2007-04-18 10:04:27

KONEY
PROPHET64 GURU
Website

That's why I spoke about "gear heating up".

Last edited by KONEY (2007-04-18 10:04:43)

#7 2007-04-18 10:06:14

Tristan
Pac-Man
Website

dotmatrix wrote:

how often do you save a song that day , reload it the next day and it sounds completely different?

0 (I have no song saving solution).

Yes!

Probably quite true...

Listening fatigue is a real problem... After a few hours of listening to the same song, over and over, over and over, your brain goes a little bit loopy. You start to 'focus' on certain elements of the mix while ignoring others.... The result of this for me is usually something similar to 'classic drum and bass master eq syndrome'.

I wouldn't be at all surpised if there was a little bit of information getting lost or misread (maybe miswritten?) when you save your projects, too. We are using computers that are nearly 30 years old, after all.

YOU are reading my unique forum signature.

#8 2007-04-18 10:19:07

MikeTorino

I have the perfect solution to see whether it's your gear or your ears:
Record the song as digital audio the night before and listen to it the next day... :-)

#9 2007-04-18 10:29:13

Tonka
PROPHET64 GURU
Website

dotmatrix wrote:

What do you think sounds different?  Is it just warmth and punchiness or is it more important things such as pitch (!) and filter settings (aarrgghhh)?

You're scaring me now!  I've been listening to and making music on a C64 for years with DMC and USA Assembler, and I can't say I've ever noticed this phenomenon.  It would be very unfortunate if this was P64 specific. sad

Maybe it's just perceptual, like Slorrin said?

You could always make a recording at the end of one day and then another recording at the start of the next and compare the two - I guess this would prove it out once and for all...

[edit]  LOL!  Mike beat me to it!

Last edited by Tonka (2007-04-18 10:29:47)

#10 2007-04-18 11:09:14

AxiMaxi
PROPHET64 GURU
Website

KONEY wrote:

That's why I spoke about "gear heating up".

That's why I quoted you wink

If everything is under control, you're not going fast enough.

#11 2007-04-18 14:47:00

linde
Mad Max
Website

I hear you, Slorrin!

I almost exclusively compose late at night. A good thing to remember when you do that is to always almost completely finish the track before you go to bed and finish it up the next day. That way you'll get the best things from both worlds; the untamed creativity from working when you're tired with no one interrupting you, and the judging ear you have when you're fully awake. Then leave the track resting for a week before listening to it again and make the appropriate adjustments.

#12 2007-04-18 20:20:08

Jaicen
Centipede

That's exactly what I do. I like to finish a track, and put it to bed for at least a week but preferably longer so that I can come back and mix it with fresh ears.

#13 2007-04-18 20:57:10

dotmatrix
Monty
Website

I should not come up with a suspect having no evidence to prove it. so i will post to this thread as soon as i have audio samples that prove or disprove my theory.

it was just this moment that i was thinking like "what the fuck ? i worked 7 hours on THIS crap? can't believe it"

#14 2007-04-18 21:51:50

Tonka
PROPHET64 GURU
Website

dotmatrix wrote:

it was just this moment that i was thinking like "what the fuck ? i worked 7 hours on THIS crap? can't believe it"

LOL!  I think we've ALL been there before!  The flip side is re-discovering an old forgotten & unfinished track and thinking "What the fuck?  Did I really do THAT?!  How great am I"?!!

Much rarer of course, but it happens if you've been making music long enough! wink

Last edited by Tonka (2007-04-18 21:53:05)

Board footer