Official information and support forum for
MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-08 17:29:52

Kola
Bloody beginner

Newbie Questions

Hiya.

I was just looking into Messia and stumbled here.  This whole project looks fantastic.

I have a few newbie Qs if anyone has the time to help me by answering id be grateful.

1 - Am I right in thinking you can mod a c64 so all of its 7 internal sounds can be outputted to separate 1/4" Jacks?
Is it hard to do?

2 - what are the four rotary controllers you use? Im guessing you controlling things such as cut of frequency?

3 - If I wanted to make a start with this is any revision of a C64 better than another?

4 - How do you save your sounds? Tape - eeek?  Been a while.

#2 2010-10-08 22:26:44

DjFluorescent
Space Invader

Re: Newbie Questions

Hi and welcome....

1- There can only be one output for each SID chip you might have have installed. One SID is stock. Two with SID2SID installed (2 SIDs=6 channels of sound)

2- The 4 Pots are for changing various parameters within the software.. They are required to use the applications properly. ( a joystick can also be used )

3- Well there are different SID revisions you should ba aware of...

The 6581 is the original SID. The filters are dirty and incomplete (some people prefer them). Out of the 6581s, there are a few different revisions you could come across. rev2, rev3, rev4, rev4AR.... The best 6581 is the 6581rev4AR, it is the closest the 65's will ever get to a complete filter....

Which brings me to the 6582 and 8580 SIDs... the 6582 is the same as the 8580. They have complete filters, and are considered to be cleaner with a lot more resonance... I would recommend finding a machine with one or the other. I wish I have one myself.

With that said, the breadbox c64 with most always contain a 6581, usually an early revision. The c64C with sometimes contain 6581 and sometimes contain 8580 It's a gamble.

here are some photos to help you find the SID you are looking for.....

The c64c with keyboard graphics like THIS will most likely contain a 8580. the
http://www.commodore-amiga-retro.com/amiga/c64c/a78_c640c04.jpg

The c64c with THIS keyboard graphics will most likely contain a 6581...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/C64C.jpg

I am not sure if c128 will work with mssiah because I haven't personally tested one. But I don't think I'm wrong in thinking they will work too... They will probably have 8580.

4- I'n the monosynth app. you can save 8 patches to the cart itself... all other apps you need a tape or disk drive to save patters and sounds.. There is a cable out there called "c64tpc" that will allow you to send data to your computer such as saving song files and patches..

I hope this helped you. I urge you to lurk around the forum some more... There is a TON of great info here, and you will most likely find all your answers here....

**** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****
64K RAM SYSTEM  38911 BASIC BYTES FREE.

#3 2010-10-17 19:54:59

Kola
Bloody beginner

Re: Newbie Questions

Hi mate,

Thanks for that great and informative reply.  Most appreciated.

How easy is it to save stuff to floppy etc?

Board footer