PROPHET64 & MSSIAH Userforum

Official information and support forum for
MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-12 12:31:08

mulch
Bloody beginner

Mssiah Death?? Oh Dear - User Error? !!!!!!!!

Well... this is my first and possibly last post!!!

Having excitedly purchased the modded C64 from Muckleberryblim (great guy btw) with MSSIAH cart/PSP monitor/2 SID chips on board/mono jack out for each a few weeks ago ... and then gone on to purchase a Micromys V3 to make navigation somewhat manageable, it has suddenly dawned on me that MSSIAH is indeed an awesome and in8itially intimidating collection of software.

In-fact I have come close to giving up because of the depth of the beast (though mostly due to mind-boggling array of key commands and interface layers... also, my mouse not working veyr well...!)...

I was keen to sync my AKAI mpc1000 (which currently clocks my nanoloop 1.5 via an arduinoboy) and go barmy with the lovable SID fatness.,....

However, I think i have just destroyed something!! Perhaps all my concerns about whether to continue trying with the C64 setup are now irrelevant!!! Perhaps someone can offer some help......

Whilst getting into the sequencer by using the A.R.C function and then attempting to play with each channel (6 voices!!), I laid down a random pattern on each voice and put the tempo to max (250bpm?)...

this obviously sounded somewhat cacophonic... however, Im just getting into the guts of using this and i want to hear the extremes it can reach....

So, the patterns are looping and I realise that i have put the output signals into a stereo channel , but i would rather hear all sounds through both speakers (by default each SID chip is running out of a seperate JACK port and so im hearing one from one speaker and the other from the other.)... So I go round the back of my mixer, unplug the jacks and plug them into seperate mono channels...

I come round the front only to see that the commodore has frozen and the loop is still going on, I also see that the tv monitor for the C64 has glitches intermingled with the GUI... and that i cant interrupt it with keystrokes...

FOOOOOK..... I realise I may have to switch it off without shutting down properly.... no other choice...

I turn it off..... and wait....

I turn it on..... and nothing... well a black screen...... i try again....the same.....

I try it without the MSSIAH cartridge in,,,,,,,  just a black screen.....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHH.....

any advice or consolation messages???

I didnt smell any burning from the C64.... it was not hot..... could it literally be that I have fried something by taking out the audio plugs from the mixer whilst the C64 was still playing sound?? In the Getting Statred manual it says not to switch a mixer off or plug into an off mixer when the c64 is on..... although im sure i didnt contravene these specifics, I was in that ballpark!!/.//./

have i fried the SID chip(s)???

the C64 doesnt even turn on!!!

I have checked the internal fuse and (not really surprisingly) its fine... i mean after I was not really playing with amps here ...

mulch :]

Last edited by mulch (2010-03-12 12:41:54)

#2 2010-03-12 13:11:30

luke-beataddicts
The Last Ninja
Website

Re: Mssiah Death?? Oh Dear - User Error? !!!!!!!!

Hi man, I feel sorry for you. Check if Sids are sitting nicely in their sockets if still don't work try to swap them. Also you need to remeber that Commodore are so easy to fry, especially 6581 motherboards are fuckin shit. You should know that any plugging, unplugging and switching should be done when C64 is off.  Good to have few spare Sids.
Contact your modder and I'm sure he will help you.
And this post should be posted in Problems section not news section.

Last edited by luke-beataddicts (2010-03-12 13:13:03)

#3 2010-03-12 13:15:08

mulch
Bloody beginner

cheeers luke.... any chance i can move the thread..???

#4 2010-03-12 13:20:16

mulch
Bloody beginner

SIDs are mounted pretty solid (its a SID 2 SID setup....)

not sure what motherboard is but its the later model unit (not bread bin style)...

thanks anyway.... i will try and create a time machine to get back just before i unplugged anything!!!

failing that.... i will get in touch with modder as you suggest....

mulch...

#5 2010-03-12 13:31:36

luke-beataddicts
The Last Ninja
Website

try swapping sids, or put sid number 2 in main socket without sid2sid. If still nothing at least you know sids are ok.

#6 2010-03-12 13:55:53

mulch
Bloody beginner

THANKS LUKE!!!!! nice one!!!

ok... looks like one of those sids is blown!!!!

phew!!!! or... not.....

at least i can probably get hold of another... replace it and reconsider my future in the realms of C64 music production!!! seems EXTREMELY sensitive and delicate!!!

shame i love those C64 suonds so much!!!!

#7 2010-03-12 14:22:32

luke-beataddicts
The Last Ninja
Website

just hunt some broken and dirty c64c on ebay for 5 and you'll be all right

#8 2010-03-12 20:50:07

DjFluorescent
Space Invader

Another possibility of getting black screen is the cart not touching every single lead in the cart slot. What I did was pushed the MSSIAH in about 1/3 the way in. then I pushed it in the rest of the way on only one side of the cart, causing it to go in crooked. this ensured the leads to touch since my lead problem was not that they weren't bent up or down enough.... the cart had a tight fit...

The freezing could be the leads being disconnected during use.

**** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****
64K RAM SYSTEM  38911 BASIC BYTES FREE.

Board footer