PROPHET64 & MSSIAH Userforum

Official information and support forum for
MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-26 15:05:02

firebrandboy
Centipede
Website

#mssiah - LIVE IRC CHAT! Read this to get connected...

Server: irc.esper.net
Channel: #mssiah
irc://irc.esper.net/#mssiah

IRC, or Internet Relay Chat, is something most of you will be familiar with. It's a protocol rather than a specific program, which means you can connect with one of thousands of IRC programs ('clients') to the server that 8bitcollective's channel lives on.

Think of a channel as being a bit like a chatroom. You connect to the server, then join the channel, then talk about nothing until you lose your job, become increasingly unwashed and your real-life relationships fall apart. Oldschool!

This is intended as a guide for newcomers and as a reference for veterans. I'll explain how to connect, suggest some dos and don'ts and offer a couple of warnings - IRC can be a dangerous place. I realise calling it a dangerous place makes it about 5000% more exciting and attractive, so I'll continue.

Download a client:

First off, you need a client. I'm not going to list a shitload of them, nor am I going to argue the benefits and disadvantages of each. If you care enough, you'll have your favourite anyway.

Newcomers might wish to follow these links to get started:

Chatzilla https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16 - a Firefox add-on client.

www.mirc.com - definitely the most popular Windows IRC client. Highly supported, very advanced and featuring its own comprehensive scripting language. Shareware, with unlimited free trial.

www.xchat.org - perhaps the most popular Linux client, with multiplatform ports and lots of support. Comes in a few versions, but if you've got something like Ubuntu, you probably have a copy installed. Easy to get from Synaptic or aptitude. This one's free.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xchataqua/ - a MacOS Aqua frontend for x-chat, recommended by everyone's favourite Trash80.

www.colloquy.info - A reasonable IRC client for MacOS.

Get connected:

Next, you need to connect to our server: irc.esper.net.

I'm not going through the specifics of connection with every client, because they're all slightly different. Typically, though, you can type the command directly to the server (text in square brackets should not be typed):

/server irc.esper.net
[...then it connects...]
/nick LSDJn00bLoL [or whatever]
/join #mssiah

And you're in! Investigate the Options/Prefs of your chosen client to select Espernet as your default server, #mssiah as an autojoined channel, the nickname you want to have each time, etc.

Notice the commands used in the example above - they're probably all you'll ever need, as a standard IRC user. /nick changes your nickname to whatever you type after it - no spaces, though, and only some punctuation is allowed. Experiment. /join #mssiah: /join is self-explanatory, while #mssiah is the channel name. All IRC channels have the '#' (hash, or 'pound' in American English) symbol in front of them so you need to type that in.

(By the way, on Windows and any Linux/Mac install where MIME types etc. are configured properly, you should be able to click the following link to make your client connect:
irc://irc.ircnet.net/mssiah)

What's what:

#mssiah is our channel - we operate it and take care of housekeeping. We offer support to newcomers and we kick out the spambots, trolls and other nasties. Keep reasonably civil, try to behave in a similar fashion to other users (which isn't to say you necessarily have to behave WELL - just don't go over the top!) and you should enjoy yourself.

Important: Esper.net is not our server; it's just the server we use. We use it because it's not ridiculously busy, it's not big enough to be on the radar of most hardcore spammers and it offers IRC Services. More about those later. Anyway, please respect our host network: if you want to dick around, pretending you're a hacker, take it somewhere else. Quakenet's full of legendarily gullible idiots - try over there!

WTF do those symbols mean?

You'll notice people with + or @ in front of their nicknames - these people are Ops or halfops (usually we just have Ops). As mentioned, they're there for support and peacekeeping. Though it happens very rarely, they'll kick people who are being total dicks. A kick should be considered a warning (most people have autorejoin-on-kick enabled and come straight back in). If you ignore the warning, you get a ban. There are all sorts of bans, and you can google them if you're interested. Some relate to channels, other to entire networks. Place nice.

IRC Services:

Services is a suite of modules running on the server software which offers features above and beyond the original (and ageing) IRC protocol. We like it because it lets us register our channel, so that it doesn't get stolen by trollz if we all suddenly fall offline one night, or something. It also means that you can register your nicknames so that nobody can steal them! Type the following to do this (again, don't type the square-bracketed stuff!):

/nick l0lzomg [or whatever]
/ns register <password> <email>

Obviously, replace <password> with your desired password and <email> with a VALID email address. You'll get a confirmation mail with a code that you have to paste back into IRC. The email will explain this.

Now your nickname is registered. Each time you connect, you'll be ordered to enter your password, or else nickserv (the part of the server that handles nicknames, surprisingly enough) will forcibly change your nick to some other bullshit. Do:

/ns identify <password>

to let nickserv know that you are actually you, legit and above-board.

Warnings:

This will be expanded upon soon...

FAQs:

This will be added to over time... I'll try to add stuff from the various other, older IRC-related threads (some of which contain info that's now out of date or obscure)

Thanks to Syphus (http://syphus.untergrund.net/) for this tutorial.

#2 2009-02-26 19:29:23

Awol
Nebulus
Website

Re: #mssiah - LIVE IRC CHAT! Read this to get connected...

Be there or be square!

#3 2009-02-26 21:21:39

Slorrin
PROPHET64 GURU

I am there.

#4 2009-02-26 21:29:57

TheLustyGhost

I was there for 30 seconds earlier,  and I'll be back.

Slorrin - I bought your 8580 on Ebay.

#5 2009-02-27 01:20:48

firebrandboy
Centipede
Website

glad to see a few users on board!

#6 2009-02-28 17:51:14

Flemming
The Last Ninja

This chat-thing is really convenient smile

#7 2009-03-01 13:27:30

Tristan
Pac-Man
Website

I am there.

Literally everyone else on Earth is square.

YOU are reading my unique forum signature.

#8 2009-03-01 14:23:06

Tristan
Pac-Man
Website

I just worked out why!

I followed the link: irc://irc.esper.net/#mssiah

..which took me to ##mssiah. ##mssiah is a different channel to #mssiah! I think my client (mirc) automatically prefixes whatever follows the last '/' with a '#'. Don't know if all the others do that or not.

YOU are reading my unique forum signature.

#9 2009-03-02 18:12:17

firestARTer
Administrator
Website

Be there or be rectangular!

firestARTer - Gameboy - C64 - Atari Music
Hardware developing for your favourite homecomputer musicsoftwares
http://www.sidsyn.com
http://www.myspace.com/firestartermusic

#10 2009-03-03 16:51:05

stamba
Mad Max
Website

Ok i'm in ! wink

#11 2009-04-10 15:50:10

stamba
Mad Max
Website

Hey guyz ! Where the h3ll are you all ? smile

I'm in !

Board footer