MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-16 20:21:55

Jez Leather
Bloody beginner
Website

ARP Sound

Helloo!
I recently got the amazing MSSIAH cartridge and hope to use my C64 as a monosynth in my bands live set.
My knowledge of sound architecture is very limited compared to the majority of users on this forum so I'm here to ask for help to set up the monosynth to play a classic 8 bit ARP sound.
I'll be grateful for any pointers or suggestions,
Cheers,
Jez.

#2 2009-01-17 12:35:49

tomica
Gianas Sister

Re: ARP Sound

well if u control mssiah using a pc based sequencer
making a c major arp would mean
setting the note lengths to 32ths
and then looping these four notes: c4 e4 g4 c5

#3 2009-01-17 13:18:59

Flemming
The Last Ninja

Jez Leather wrote:

Helloo!
I recently got the amazing MSSIAH cartridge and hope to use my C64 as a monosynth in my bands live set.
My knowledge of sound architecture is very limited compared to the majority of users on this forum so I'm here to ask for help to set up the monosynth to play a classic 8 bit ARP sound.
I'll be grateful for any pointers or suggestions,
Cheers,
Jez.

You need to use the Sequencer to play broken chords live

1) download the manual here http://www.mssiah.com/files/MSSIAH_Sequencer.pdf
2) search the manual for words like 'midi', 'arp', 'wavetable' and 'chord'

If you consider yourself to be all that new to sound it might help to read the full manual smile maybe there are more features that you'd find interesting!

#4 2009-01-17 13:21:53

ron
PROPHET64 GURU
Website

OMG - I was wondering what's supposed to be 8bit about ARP at all, last but not least after I had the chance to play with Odyssey and 2600 last week.... just the "c major" made ring the arpeggio bell wink ARP, prophet, 303 what's next big_smile

#5 2009-01-17 13:27:26

Flemming
The Last Ninja

ron wrote:

OMG - I was wondering what's supposed to be 8bit about ARP at all, last but not least after I had the chance to play with Odyssey and 2600 last week.... just the "c major" made ring the arpeggio bell wink ARP, prophet, 303 what's next big_smile

Oh, i got the OP's question wrong then - i imagined that he meant an 8bit classic arpeggio sound, like the broken chord.... i didn't imagine that the question was to make the C64 sound like such a beast smile http://www.vintagesynth.com/arp/odyssey.shtml

(edit) and next, how about making the C64 sound like an Acces Virus wink i for one would find it pretty impressive!!

Last edited by Flemming (2009-01-17 13:45:09)

#6 2009-01-17 14:01:37

ron
PROPHET64 GURU
Website

I guess he was asking for arpeggio, ARP (the synth) != 8bit at all.
However the 2600 would be a perfect companion for MSSIAH if only it wasn't so rare wink
But please, no intension to make SIDs sound like virtual analog crap tongue

Last edited by ron (2009-01-17 14:38:02)

#7 2009-01-19 15:48:18

Jez Leather
Bloody beginner
Website

You need to use the Sequencer to play broken chords live

1) download the manual here http://www.mssiah.com/files/MSSIAH_Sequencer.pdf
2) search the manual for words like 'midi', 'arp', 'wavetable' and 'chord'

If you consider yourself to be all that new to sound it might help to read the full manual smile maybe there are more features that you'd find interesting!

Thanks Flemming...I didn't read the Sequencer manual, only the Monosynth...I'll get to it now!
I was wary of calling it an ARP sound, because of the classic synth, but I didn't know what to call it. Broken Chords is perfect!
If you want to check out some C=64 video action, click my signature link & scroll down to the Thursday Electric promo... I made the backgrounds using loading screens and other stuff!

#8 2009-01-19 16:14:54

Flemming
The Last Ninja

Jez Leather wrote:

Thanks Flemming...I didn't read the Sequencer manual, only the Monosynth...I'll get to it now!
I was wary of calling it an ARP sound, because of the classic synth, but I didn't know what to call it. Broken Chords is perfect!
If you want to check out some C=64 video action, click my signature link & scroll down to the Thursday Electric promo... I made the backgrounds using loading screens and other stuff!

I'm more than happy to be of any help.... at all smile

Yup, the sequencer is needed because the 'broken chord' (a term that i nicked straight from the sequencer-manual) needs to make use of wavetables to work... the monosynth does not sport wavetable action. I never tried myself before, but i read in the manual that it's a feature included in MSSIAH Sequencer, and i find it terribly sexy to be able to do that shit live!!!!

I really hope that you manage to get it working, and maybe we can hear a small clip of you throwing some random live chords through your C64 ??? pleeease smile

#9 2009-01-20 01:38:25

Jez Leather
Bloody beginner
Website

YES! Got it arping! Sounds amazing! I love it!!
There are downsides though... I'd have to take 3 extra pieces of kit to gigs...
My 1570, a MIDI keyboard and a TV!
I did plan on just using the Monosynth with the SFX Music Maker keyboard overlay and memorising the keystrokes to get my sounds... but the Sequencer is joystick controlled so a TV is required along with a MIDI keyboard controller!
I would also have to reload my arp sound from the 1570 everytime I switched from Monosynth to Sequencer...
Ooh... what to do?

#10 2009-01-20 23:20:03

Tristan
Pac-Man
Website

Get a C64TPC (search ebay!) and an analogue TV input and use a laptop as your MIDI keyboard, disk drive and monitor! smile

Actually, you would not need the MIDI keyboard unless you wanted to play P64 via ...MIDI keyboard. You can play live via the C64 keys with Sequencer in the instrument edit view.

YOU are reading my unique forum signature.

#11 2009-01-21 18:32:57

8bit-Meta
Bomb Jack
Website

or use renoise and you can use laptop keys to play midi.  not sure about using renoise live though..

Board footer